I've never had a chance to dine at Plaza III in Kansas City, but I've always heard great things about it. I've also never made soup before (other than out of a can), so Kayla's recipe gave me a great reason to be adventurous with her Plaza III Steak Soup recipe. I'll definitely make this delicious soup again, especially on cold winter nights!
Plaza III Steak Soup
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
8 cups beef broth
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 cup onions
1 cup celery
1 cup carrots
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
28 oz canned diced tomatoes
1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
1. Melt butter in a soup pot.
2. Blend in flour to make a smooth paste.
3. Add beef broth a little at a time.
4. Saute beef in large skillet and drain off fat.
5. Add meat, all vegetables, and seasonings to soup pot.
6. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are cooked.
I cut the recipe in half and it was the perfect amount for dinner for two, with about one bowl left over. I don't really like carrots, so I skipped them because the mixed vegetables already had plenty for my taste. Also, I added a touch more Old Bay Seasoning than the recipe called for to give it an extra kick. Hopefully sometime soon I'll be able to compare it to the real deal at Plaza III! Yum-o.
What's your favorite soup?